Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Journey...

I honestly don't know where to start. I guess I'll start from the beginning. On the first day, God created... Whoops. Too far back ;)

I guess the story would start back about when I was 9. At that time in my life is when I started gaining weight. Several factors contributed to it. Genetics is always a factor. But also, my family KNOWS how to cook. And I mean REALLY well. If you've never had my family's culinary deliciousness...you should. A-MA-ZING!!!

Aside from that, I hate exercise. I think that's attributed mostly to the fact that I have asthma. It was diagnosed when I was in 8th grade but I'm pretty sure I've had it from the time I was 5.

I was overweight all through jr. high and high school. and it just progressed from there.

Then in 2006 I was in a car accident where I got 2 bulging discs in my low back and 4 bulging discs in my neck. Which limited my mobility.

From that point on I remained about the same size until after I married the MOST amazing man in the world. The the comfort factor set in and I gained more weight.

I've done several weight loss attempts, all minimally successful but nothing successful enough to continue doing it to lose all the weight I need to.

So, that brings me to the cause for this blog post. I've been struggling with this for over 18 years of my life. There are so many emotional struggles, not to mention physical struggles that accompany being overweight. I watch as Scott and Breann go ride bikes together, play tag and even basketball together and it makes me sad because I can't do those things with them. It breaks my heart. Then there's always being self conscious about myself when I'm around other people and I'm always worried about what others think. Really, it's just second nature to me because I've been doing it most of my life. However, the pain and sadness and guilt never goes away. Even writing about this makes me want to tear up.

That's why I've decided to make a significant change, not only in my life, but in the life my family as well.

After extensive...I mean EXTENSIVE... research I have decided to have weight loss surgery. I will be getting the gastric sleeve procedure done. I've submitted the initial paperwork and it's been accepted by my insurance company. I now will need to see a dietician (which I have an appointment with on the 22nd), a psychiatrist (which I have an appointment with on Monday) and then it'll be time to schedule an appointment with the doctor and schedule the surgery.

I know so many people that have had the weight loss procedures done and every single one of them says it's the best decision they've made in their lives. Now that it's covered so many people at work are getting it done. Everyone is very open about it and I will have an amazing support group. I also have a very supportive family and Scott and Breann are amazing. They're so supportive as well. Scott tells me he loves me either way but to do what makes me happy. He has no idea how much I appreciate that. He's fantastic!

It's going to be an amazing journey and I can't wait!!!

Ember


3 comments:

  1. I hope this is really successful for you. My prayers are with you. I know all about being overweight, as you know. I guess when I learned I have diabetes is when I was scared enough to really lose some weight. I'm not sure just how I did it. I did not starve myself but I simply was not very hungry. I've been on a plateau for about a year. I'm hoping to get it jump started very soon because I'd like to lose another 30 pounds. When I reach that goal, perhaps I'll decide to lose some more. But this I do know: I am 80 pounds lighter than I used to be and it feels so wonderful. Even knowing I'm still overweight, I'm not as self-conscious as I used to be and I know I look a whole lot better. A lady came up to the organ while I was playing postlude music and said, "You look so great! Keep going!" I was pleased. It's things like that that help. Well, enough about me. I'm rooting for you all the way. You will learn to love yourself when you've lost some weight. You will feel more beautiful and you will be so much less self-conscious. Good luck. Keep us posted. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is really successful for you. My prayers are with you. I know all about being overweight, as you know. I guess when I learned I have diabetes is when I was scared enough to really lose some weight. I'm not sure just how I did it. I did not starve myself but I simply was not very hungry. I've been on a plateau for about a year. I'm hoping to get it jump started very soon because I'd like to lose another 30 pounds. When I reach that goal, perhaps I'll decide to lose some more. But this I do know: I am 80 pounds lighter than I used to be and it feels so wonderful. Even knowing I'm still overweight, I'm not as self-conscious as I used to be and I know I look a whole lot better. A lady came up to the organ while I was playing postlude music and said, "You look so great! Keep going!" I was pleased. It's things like that that help. Well, enough about me. I'm rooting for you all the way. You will learn to love yourself when you've lost some weight. You will feel more beautiful and you will be so much less self-conscious. Good luck. Keep us posted. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Ember. I'll keep you in my positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete