Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year Goals!

Well, It's been forever since I've written. Mostly because I've been sick/injured most of the past year and I haven't really been up for much. This year is going to be different. I am going to write at least once a week, or if nothing spectacularly noteworthy happens, then the next time something does I'll be writing. So, that's where I'm starting. Now for some other goals.

1. I'm doing a 52 week challenge to enhance my photography skills. So, I'll be posting a picture a week on what I'm doing. This week is just one of my favorite photos that I've taken. I've been sick since Christmas so I'm still keeping my commitment, just not being as aggressive with it as I will be when I'm not sick.

Week 1: This is my pretty Kieshie that Scott gave me for Christmas. This picture was taken today when she, of her own choosing, came out from hiding because she wanted to cuddle. She wouldn't let me take my hand off of her.


2. Our family loves food. That's right. And some of us show it more than others. Soooooo... it's become my mission to take the foods that we love and make them healthy but still oh, so VERY delicious! We all want to be healthier and happier so this is one way to do it. I, personally, am VERY excited for this. I LOVE cooking and it just makes it so much more intriguing to try and make something delicious AND nutritious! The recipe that I'm going to share came from my Grandma Ehlers and then was adapted by my Mom and now made just a bit healthier by me! Enjoy!

HAMBURGER SOUP

1 medium onion
1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cans low sodium beef broth
2 cans water
2 cans diced tomatoes
6 sprigs chopped parsley (optional)
4 medium carrots, sliced
2 large zucchini, sliced
1 pkg fresh mushrooms, sliced

Saute onion and ground beef in olive oil until no longer raw. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT zucchini and mushrooms in large pot. Cook for 30 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms then cook for an additional 30 minutes.

I usually end up with a pot of veggies in some broth because I love all the veggies. Any way you want it, Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Soup sounds great! I love brothy soups and lot's of veggies, too. Good luck with the photography, as well. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete